Sunday, January 31, 2010

H is for Hockey





At the age of 7 I started to play hockey in the Acton House League, not knowing if I was going to like it or not. I have been playing ever since, and I love it. Throughout the years I have improved my playing and learned a lot about the game. I still play in Acton and this year I started playing with the Hockey Club at school.



In my first year I barely knew how to skate and hold a stick, but I was really excited to try playing. The first year was difficult but I stuck with it and had an open mind. In my second year I won the Most Improved Player award on my team. After the second season I realized that I really like the game of hockey and wanted to continue playing. I continue to play House League this year but I am now in an age group that involves checking, and this makes the game even harder. This makes the game harder because you always have to keep your head up and be on the lookout for anyone coming to check you. Before I thought that checking was just throwing your body at people and hope that you don't get hurt, but there is an actual proper way to check. I have definitely learned my lesson after being called for many elbowing and boarding penalties throughout my checking career.


At the school we have a Hockey Club, where a group of students and teachers from SJK go to scrimmage at a local arena after school on Fridays. This is my first year playing at the school and I am really enjoying it. I am the youngest player there, but after only a couple of times going out to play, my coach has noticed an improvement in my game. At the hockey club, the players are really amazing, and I have definitely learned new things from them. I have also learned new things from other kids around the same age as me who share the same admiration of hockey that I have.



I think hockey is a sport that everyone who is able to should play, because once you start playing it you can't stop. I like hockey because it is great exercise, it's a fast game and most importantly it is lots of fun. I am really happy that I tried hockey when I was 7, because I turned out to really love the game.






Life Lesson: Try new things, because chances are that you will end up loving them.


1 comment:

  1. Thats really cool! I really like the way you explained that subject of hockey!Excellent!

    ReplyDelete