Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Does Clothing Shape Who You Are?

Does clothing shape who you are? I think there are two different ways to look at fashion, you can look at it like it's something you take very seriously. If you do take fashion very seriously, then you might think that clothing shapes who you are. Then there is the other way to look at fashion, which I think is the way that most or at least some people look at it. The way I look at fashion is that it definitely doesn't shape who you are and it is just something that isn't worth getting upset about. An example is at our school, everyone wears the same thing, but that doesn't mean we are the same. So, what I'm saying is that you can look at fashion two ways, and hopefully see that it doesn't shape who you are.
Now, you might think that yes, clothing shapes who you are because look at people like Lady Gaga, whose fashion would make someone think that she's a crazy, out of this world person. Or take a look at the Jonas Brothers, whose fashion makes them look like they're cool and nice guys. These are the people who "set the trends". Then there are the people who follow the trends, who think that you're not cool unless you wear the latest trends. Which brings me back to my point that clothing doesn't shape who you are, because you can be cool even if you're not wearing the latest trend. So, you can still think that clothing does shape who you are, but next time you're in H & M looking for a new pair of skinny jeans , just think to yourself, does this really make me cool.

6 comments:

  1. Woah!
    This is so intense! I thought it was SO good when you said that stuff about lady gaga and the jonas brothers, and that whole thing about looking cool when you buy skinny jeans!!!
    WOW!!!!
    I WOULD GIVE YOU 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy I agree with you because it makes sence and whereing something dosent mean u are cool. it just means you look good. like if there was two people and one of them were wearing a skinney jeans a light green top and bright purple shoes you would go "o i want to hang out with them cuz he lookes awesome". and then the second guy was ripped jeans stanes on his shert and a tatoo on the top of hes head that said hey dont annoy me. youu would say "eww i dont really want to hang out with him cuz he is scary" so i very well agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy thats a really good blog! I agree that lady Gaga looks totally out of this world, but maybe she is a really nice person in the inside. The Jonas brothers also look really nice and cool, but maybe their snobs on the inside. Also I think that is a great thought about the the next time you place your foot in a store I'll think to myself "does this make me REALLY cool." I promise that I will think that the second I place my foot in that store:P. In summary your blog was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your blog and I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice man i agree with you all the way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tommy, this is a solid first blog. You have set out your opinion on the topic very clearly. More evidence and explanation of your examples to back up that opinion makes it harder for people to disagree with you. For example, explain why and how you can be cool without wearing the latest trends instead of assuming your reader knows what you mean.

    ReplyDelete